The medieval guildhall was located on the S side of the marketplace, its ground level open and the upper storey supported on arches.
As the seat of civic government and centre for festive occasions, Cambridge's guildhall was probably the venue for most performances by touring entertainers before the mayor and city officials recorded from the early 15th c. to the early 17th c.
1386--7 New guildhall built, replacing an older building.
1782 Demolished and rebuilt by the architect James Essex.
1930s 18th c. guildhall demolished and a new guildhall built.
REED Cambridge 1.23--403